Tuesday, January 12, 2010

No Spiderwebs

but some great early morning running today. I'm guessing it's too cold for spiders? Got started a little before dawn, enough light to see without my headlamp, still brought it just in case. In case I was stuck out there tonight, I guess.

I dressed warm (it was 29 degrees, probably), and took to the solitary trails. Literally. As far as I can tell, no one else was on the trails while I was. No cars at the trailhead when I got back, one lady getting ready to run. Didn't see another human while running. Plenty of squirrels, though. And at least 5 deer, which spooked and started running parallel to me, until my trail went away from their route. Kinda wanted to follow them.

It was another training run, partially for the 13 miler there on 1/23, partially for the upcoming marathons and ultra(s). I should have planned better, and set out on an established run 5 walk 1, but instead I ran for the first 15 or so minutes, before walking. Then felt tired for the next half hour, running intermitently, although it was a rather hilly section, I usually have problems there anyways. Once I got on the run 5 (or 6/7) walk 1 (or 2), I felt better, and knew there was still gas in the tank for more running, if needed. Instead cut it off at 9.65, 10:55 average.

It was a good learning experience, as well as a great run. I learned that I really need to have a plan on these long runs, because I'm sure I would have been faster had I started slower. Kinda like what my last post said. And obviously a race would also allow me to find a pack to pace with, though it does create the possibility that I'd get sucked into an excessively fast group. While one can start a 5K slow and pick the pace up if legs/lungs/body feel good, I'm guessing it's harder to do that in a long-distance run like what I'm preparing for, unless you can see the finish line (metaphorically). And I need to work on pacing myself early, so that I can finish strong. My next long(ish) run will be a dedicated 5/1, to see what kind of pace that results in, and to see how it feels. Might need less, might need more. And most importantly of all, I'm learning that after 9.6 miles, my legs can feel like they can do more. It isn't much, in the grand scheme of things, but 9 miles is a lot of running compared to when I was struggling to do 3 a few years ago. Also, the 13 miler is well planned, because the final 3.5 is relatively flat, basic trail. which will really be nice after the technical trails of the first 9.5.

I'm stuck debating if this counts as a half marathon. Technically, it's only 13 miles. Should I run back .05 at some point, and then keep going, so that at least I'll have done 13.1?

No comments:

Post a Comment