Friday, January 1, 2010

Starting the New Year right

The local Meetup group had a trail run scheduled for January 1, which I was looking forward to. Originally it was supposed to be held at Whitewater, but the rain 2 nights before had it closed, so instead we went to McDowell Nature Preserve. I had hiked there before, but never really thought about running there. For one, there's only 7 miles there. Also, they're all hiking trails. No mountain biking. This meant a lot of slick areas, because walking and running require different levels of trail. But still, it was right by my house, so I made the trek over. Hard to beat a 20 minute round trip to trail running.
11 hardy souls showed up, temperature was around 38, not much in the way of wind. Trails were somewhat muddy, mainly an issue around the sharp turns/eroded trails. It was supposed to be 6 miles, but multiple Garmins said our route was 4.75, so I'd guess it was around 5 or so. We then stood around talking for a while, discussing races and nutrition and such, discovered a guy I had hashed with before was on the same high school xc team as Geoff Roes, ultra-geeked-out for a while.
Eventually most of the people started to leave, but 4 of us decided to run some more. I, for one, did not want my first run of the year to be a paltry 5 miles. So instead, my first run of the year was 8.15. Debated doing another 1.85 or so to get to 10 to start '10, but a quiet evening sounded better.

No comments:

Post a Comment